Primers are an important part of my make up routine and I definitely notice the difference when I don’t use them. There are lots of primers on the market to protect, illuminate, mattify, smooth and hide the appearance of pores, however I was yet to find one that did all of the above. I was a massive fan of the multi-tasker that was Jemma Kidd Bio Complex Mineral Veil primer but that has now been discontinued and is now very difficult to get hold of. Could this Dermalogica primer match up to the high performance of my previous HG primer?
Let’s take a closer look at the smaller details:
“New SkinPerfect Primer SPF 30 is a sophisticated, cosmetic primer for a flawless surface, combined with AGE Smart® treatment benefits for your healthiest skin ever. Wear alone or underneath make-up for more radiant, even skin tone, invisible sun protection and AGE smart® skin treatment benefits! Three benefits in one for healthy, illuminated skin.
- Radiant, even skin tone: Velvety silicones help even skin texture, creating an instantly smooth surface. Hydrolyzed Pearl Powder and natural earth minerals provide a neutral tint, suitable for all skin tones, to enhance luminosity and radiance.
- Invisible sun protection: Modern dispersions of Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide (physical sunblocks) provide Broad Spectrum UVA and UVB defense without the chalky, whitening and drying effects so commonly associated with SPF products.
- Powerful skin treatment: As part of the AGE Smart® system, SkinPerfect Primer SPF 30 contains ingredients known to fight the biochemical triggers that lead to skin aging, including Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS, also known as free radicals), Matrix Metalloproteinases (MMPs) and Advanced Glycation End-products (AGEs).
Protective agents, conditioning/treatment ingredients, sebum absorption agents, smoothing agents”.
I can’t say I have ever been a massive fan of Dermalogica and I’m sure that is simply down to the fact that their branding always came across as very clinical and dare I say it, a bit lack lustre. They don’t rely on quirky packaging, flashy marketing or any such tricks widely used in the beauty product world that us bloggers can fall victim to. How many times have you spontaneously bought a product because the packaging was pretty? Sometimes it can be a case of style over substance.
I have been using this Dermalogica Primer for over 2 weeks now and these are my thoughts arranged into succinct bullet points for you:
- It helps your foundation lasts longer and creates a smooth canvas
- It makes your skin appear glowing and radiant
- It didn’t leave a sticky or tacky finish – my skin felt silky and smooth
- It works really well as a base for tinted moisturiser or foundation (regardless of the consistency)
- It has no artificial fragrances or colours (it has a lavender fragrance due to the natural oils it contains)
- The tint in this primer blends into the skin seamlessly for a natural appearance
- It didn’t aggravate my skin or cause blemishes
- It’s great for combination to oily skin types (it’s a myth that oily skins can’t use products containing oil – certain natural oils help to regulate the sebum in your skin to stop shine. This primer absorbs oil and prevents make-up products from losing adhesion and sliding down the face.)
This primer is also fantastic for mature skin because it contains peptides which stimulate the production of collagen, helping to firm up the skin. Furthermore it is also supplemented with other ingredients that help to fight the triggers that cause ageing in the skin.
Overall I have been suitably impressed by this do-it-all primer! It really does perform exactly the way you would expect it to and the fact that it protects your skin, is beneficial AND makes your makeup look better…well, what more could you ask from one product? The price point is high at £29.45 for a 22ml tube but keep in mind that this product is an SPF, illuminator and primer in one.
It’s a time saver, it’s incredibly handy to just chuck in your bag when you’re travelling and it’s suitable for just about everybody. Dermalogica – you have won me over!
You can buy the Dermalogica Age Smart Skin Perfect Primer here.